Scientific Name: Squalius cephalus (Cyprinidae).
English Name: European Chub (Carp family).
French Name: Chevesne; Chevaine.
5 Key Characters:
- gregarious and the fish you are most likely to see in the rivers here, especially the smaller ones.
- long cylindrical body covered in big scales.
- dark grey back, shiny sides.
- flat forehead and big mouth.
- dorsal fin and tail tipped with black, ventral fins orange.
Lookalikes: Eurasian Dace Leuciscus leuciscus.
Habitat: Slow moving fresh water. In summer they will often be close to the surface, in winter more likely to be down near the bottom. They use debris in the water and undermined banks as shelters, allowing them to save energy and hide from predators. Eats practically everything -- worms, larvae, crustaceans, molluscs, insects, river foam, fruit and small fish.
Angling: Considered good fishing and eating.
Photographed by Loire Valley Nature: