Scientific Name: Hypnum cupressiforme (Hypnaceae).
English Name: Cypress-leaved Plait Moss (Hypnale moss family).
French Name: Hypne cyprès.
5 Key Characters:
- spore capsule has a long 'beaked' lid.
- irregularly branched shoots about 2 cm long.
- leaves strongly curved, 1-2 mm and finely pointed.
- green, tinging red-brown when older.
- produces many spore capsules, 2.5 mm.
Lookalikes: H. andoi, which has shorter beaked capsules, doesn't go brown and prefers more acidic substrates.
Habitat: Slightly acid to slightly alkaline bark and flint/chirt rich rock.
Status: The most widespread moss on Earth. Abundant.
Photographed by Loire Valley Nature: