Scientific Name: Thymelicus lineolus (Hesperiidae).
English Name: Essex Skipper (Skipper family).
French Name: L'Hespérie du dactyle (='cocksfoot grass skipper').
5 Key Characters:
- sex mark on male forewing thin and indistinct.
- underneath of antennae tips black.
- small (c30mm from wingtip to wingtip).
- tawny orange with black edges.
- gregarious -- where you see one you are likely to see others.
Lookalikes: Other tawny skippers, especially Small Skipper T. sylvestris, which has a stronger sex mark and a narrower black wing edge.
Habitat: Open grassland.
Flight Period: June-July-August.
Status: Very common.
Caterpillar Host Plant: Grasses such as Upright Brome Bromus erectus, Bald Brome B. racemosus, Creeping Soft Grass Holcus mollis, Common Bent Agrostis capillaris.
Photographed by Loire Valley Nature:
|Nectaring on Field Scabious Knautia arvensis.|