Scientific Name: Stachys recta (Lamiaceae). Stachys = 'ear of cereal', recta = 'straight'.
English Name: Yellow Woundwort, Perennial Yellow Woundwort, Stiff Hedgenettle (Dead-nettle family).
French Name: Epiare droite (='straight spike').
5 Key Characters:
- multiple stiff upright stems 20 - 60 cm.
- toothed lanceolate leaves on a very short stem.
- yellowy white flowers sit just above pairs of leaves in 3 - 6 wreaths up the stems.
- found on calcareous slopes.
- plant is hairy or fuzzy on stems, leaves and calyxes.
Lookalikes: Annual Woundwort S. annua, which is not nearly as hairy and has stems which divide (ramify).
Habitat: Dry grassy or rocky calcareous hillsides.
Flowering Period: June-July-August-September.
Status: Uncommon and localised in the Touraine.
Photographed by Loire Valley Nature: