Scientific Name: Tibicina haematodes (Cicadidae).
English Name: None (Cicada family).
French Name: La Cigale rouge (='red cicada').
5 Key Characters:
- two spines on front femur.
- red on pronotum (body section between head and abdomen) as well as abdomen.
- wing veins red, especially at bases.
- sits on trees but extremely difficult to see even though a large insect.
- males buzz loudly and persistently.
Lookalikes: None in this area.
Adult Active Period: June-July-August-September.
Photographed by Loire Valley Nature:
|Female on redcurrant in a garden in Le Petit Pressigny. Note the pair of spines on the front femur.|
|Female on redcurrant in a garden in Le Petit Pressigny.|
|Female on redcurrant in a garden in Le Petit Pressigny. Although not showing much red on the pronotum or wings, she is clearly reddish on the abdomen.|