Scientific Name: Rutpela maculata (syn Strangalia maculata) Cerambycidae.
English Name: Black and Yellow Longhorn Beetle (Longhorn family).
5 Key Characters:
- medium sized (13 - 20 mm).
- long and slender with distinctly tapering elytra.
- very variable, but usually bright yellow elytra (wing cases) with 4 black bands or broken bands of spots.
- front two pairs of legs yellow, back legs mostly black.
- base of antennal segments yellow.
Habitat: Woodland, especially with birch or pine. The larvae eat damp rotting wood. Adults often visit flowers, especially umbellifers.
Adult Active Period: May-June-July-August-September.
Status: Widespread and common.
Photographed by Loire Valley Nature: